Friday 26 July 2013

House of the Word

Yep... It's been a long time, so here's a list of what I've let you miss:
  • Christmas with my Indian family!
  • The RockHarbor team came to India
  • A monkey pulled on my nose ring-- note to self, wear a stud around monkeys
  • I watched fireworks at he RH orphanage for new Years
  • Carli (now Hill) came to visit and, along with the fabulous Alicia, we went to see the Taj Majal and Jaipur
  • I ripped my one pair of jeans doing a handstand for a picture--Thank God for long punjabi shirts
  • Our team had the opportunity to start an all-Enlgish church service
  • We retold the Good News through dance for Easter
  • The RH medical team came to India for the first time
  • We went to Petra on our way into Israel for our furlough--- guess who met up with us? MY BROTHER!!!!!! So amazing!!!!
  • Jon Austin and I went to Greece!!!! Once again... Amazing!!!!

  • I started teaching dance at Diyar in Bethlehem
  • I fell in love at a coffee shop.
  • Not really, and this is why:  1. You have to have a heart to fall in love :)  and 2. I really really really miss good coffee shops at home. Does anyone know if Starbucks or Coffee Bean or Pete's is planning on moving into Tenali, India? Is there a number I can call to suggest that? Can you do that for me?
  • I went on a tour through the Holyland with Telos and literally wept at Jacob's well. God is so good and He loves me so much that he pursues me. Sometimes I just need a little reminder :)
  • I helped choreograph for a show called Paletime with teenagers- the show came together in 3 weeks. If anyone needs a director at home contact Elizabeth Malone-- She's a local
  • I taught a college course-- you may now refer to me as Professor. Not really!
  • I continued teaching dance at Diyar in Bethlehem
So why is this post called "House of the Word"? Excellent question. I thought you might ask :) Since coming to Bethlehem in early April, I've been volunteering at Dar Al'Kalima. It is a branch of the Evangelical Lutheran Christmas Church also known as Diyar. Along side a school and college (and not to mention an incredible massage therapist), the facilities house a center for youth where they offer classes in dance, theater, visual arts and swimming. Dar Al'Kalima literally translated into english means "House of the Word". So beautiful!!! So for the past 3 months, I've been working at the House of the Word :)

Dance is a big part of the culture here in Palestine-- perfect fit, right?! The only problem is that the people here do not have the resources to dive into very many styles of dance. Right now, the center offers Depka (a beautiful traditional dance style), beginning ballet, and break dancing (by a talented self-taught dancer). There is a hunger for more stirring within Dar Al'Kalima.


Earlier this year, Rami, my boss, and a few others began praying for a contemporary dancer to come to Bethlehem collaborate with them on a show called "Out of Place". And then God brought the Residency team to Bethlehem...

Within a few days of meeting Rami and the Dar Al'Kalima staff, I was asked to stay an extra month to finish choreography for "Out of Place". My initial reaction was "Are you crazy?! You just met me and my heart is still in India..."--- but my filter only let me reply with, "Ummm... I'll pray about it." So I did, and God began to work. He tends to do that when you leave Him space :)

So, I'm staying one extra month in Bethlehem. My official return date to India is August 19th, which is definitely on my heart even though I love it here as well. It took a ton of prayer and discussion, but I completely believe this extended stay is in His will. It's amazing to sit in a place that you know God has called you to. Even though Bethlehem feels like a third home to me, I still get amazed by what happened here. I'm a 3 minute walk from where tradition tells us that Mary gave birth to the Savior of the world!!! Incredible!

Please continue to pray for India and all that the team is doing there as they try to re-enter into the culture after being away for 3 months. Also pray for what God is doing in Bethlehem. In terms of my work here, I should finish up the last bits of choreography at rehearsal tonight, though we have a lot of "cleaning" to do. Please pray for my dancers, the actors, and the people coming to see the show as it tells the incredible story of the Palestinian people and the hope they still have for a beautiful future.

One last need--- well for today :)  I'm just over half way through my 15 month adventure overseas. However, I'm still in need of financial support. At this point, I've raised $18,539.96 of the $25,000 I am committed to raising for India. This means, that I still need to raise $6,460.04 over the next 5 months. Please pray and consider joining me in this through monthly or one-time donations. I have a website to help you do so:

rockharbor.webconnex.com/austin

Thank you so much for the ways many of you are supporting me financially and spiritually!!! It has been a huge blessing to step into the work that God has prepared for me. Shout out to my Life Group---Thanks so much for all your letters!

With all my love from Bethlehem,
Renee

2 comments:

  1. Hey Renee,

    I wouldn't consider myself a religious person, however I know what you are doing is AMAZING! Sharing your passion and your dance moves with those who hunger for it (along with your spiritual vigor) is changing lives. You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your encouragement Venice! It really means a lot to me :)

    ReplyDelete