Monday 10 December 2012

He Answers Prayers

Today was tough. Last we had heard, Ravi was unconscious and partially paralyzed in a hospital bed, and awaiting brain surgery. After praying as a team along with Suresh, Danny, and Ramaraj, we decided to drive to Guntur to see him. I don't think any of us had a plan or knew what to expect. The car ride for me was filled with tears in the midst of singing along with worship songs. Another lesson of praising him through the sorrow (I had my first taste of that this past June when my friend's dad passed away... We miss you Jun).

I had never been to a hospital in India. This particular hospital seemed to blend in with the rest of the town. Even the paramedic van was parked in front of a random store. The front of the hospital reminded me somewhat of the USC ER facility (on a much smaller scale, of course, and minus the metal detectors). We walked up the ramp above the ER and were immediately greeted by some Harvest India staff and a few of Ravi's relatives. Ravi did not have surgery yet, but had recently woken up and was now talking. Praise God!!!

They asked if we would like to go in and see him. Of course!

Just then a woman in a pink and brown sari came out wearing a paper mask over her mouth. It was Ravi's wife. I had been wanting to meet her, though not under these conditions. I knew that she was a staff nurse and that she had prayed for me, but that was about it. My heart sank when I saw her. She didn't say anything, but lead us into the building and down a hallway to the left. When we got to the door of what I assume was the critical care room we stopped and learned we could only go in two at a time. Angela looked at me and asked if I wanted to go in first with her. I would love to say that I immediately jumped at the opportunity, but I definitely hesitated. "Yes, yes. I want to go in."

Ravi's wife led Angela and I into the room. There were patients separated by single curtains to the left and right of us, but it was all a blur. I had no idea what to expect. I knew that Ravi was in a motorcycle accident and was not wearing a helmet (which is the norm in India). I tried to prepare myself for the worst even though I didn't want to see it. We approached his bed and aside from the breathing mask, he simply looked like he was sleeping. He had a couple of bruises on his left temple, but even those were barely visible. His wife gently shook his arm, quietly spoke a few words in Telugu, and Ravi slowly opened his eyes. It was beautiful!

Small talk was hard. I instinctively shut down when I can't find the words to say. "It's so good to see you." I meant it. In the midst of simple words of conversation, Ravi said "Praise the Lord." That's so Ravi. Yes Ravi, praise the Lord that He's brought you this far. That He heard the prayers and cries of all of us who love you and all of those who love us. Praise God that you are safer now than you were even 2 hours ago. Praise the Lord for being the ultimate healer and comforter. Yes Ravi, Praise the Lord!

We prayed over Ravi and his wife, and just as we were turning to walk to give the rest of the team some time with this amazing man of God, the they walked up. It was amazing to pray over them as a team. We learned that it was his left side that had been paralyzed but he was now able to move his limbs with only some numbness. Praise God Ravi, yes, Praise the Lord.

Ravi will stay in the hospital for the next week or so. His brain is still hemorrhaging, though is getting better. As of this afternoon, Ravi is not going to go into surgery, but it is still an option. Please continue to pray for him. He's come a long way in the past 24 hours but is still not in the clear. He'll be under close watch for the next week. God did so much today in just a couple hours, I pray expectantly for more of the same in the days to come. Please keep his wife and 2 boys (I think they're 2 and 5 years old) in your prayers as well.

Thank you for your prayers. He hears them!!!
Matthew 8:14-17

No comments:

Post a Comment